Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Left 4 Dead Hands-On: No Mercy


"To anyone who can hear this: Proceed to Mercy Hospital. Repeat. Proceed to Mercy Hospital."

Chapter 1: The Apartments
I was right in the middle of Fairfield. On a god-forsaken apartment roof. Evacuations will be at Mercy Hospital. That's what I heard from the news chopper flying past. I can see Mercy Hospital not far off into the distance. "Looks easy enough," I told myself. There were 3 more mates stranded with me. We're Survivors, them Infected horde of zombies are all that's standing between us and Mercy Hospital. I used the butt of my shotgun to break open a nearby sunroof. It was dark down in the apartments. I jumped down to enter a room. Couple of zombies were bashing their head against the wall. I shot them straight in the chest and joined up with my other 3 mates. We slowly moved to the ground floor and finally made our way to the streets via the alleyways. From the shadows I could see wrecked cars on the streets. Hordes of them Infected littered the streets. We fought our way to the subway station. Shooting, bashing and blowing up every piece of resistance we encountered. Then, the nightmare starts. Standing in the open, walking towards us was a huge, obese and seriously stinky piece of shit you've ever seen. That thing reeks of garbage. On shot through the chest and "BOOM". The Boomer became a walking time bomb. However, the blast radius triggered a nearby car alarm. Before we knew it, we were swarmed from all sides. I ducked to the corner of a narrow alleyway giving whatever covering fire I could while some of the other picked themselves up and cleared a way down into the subways. Upon descending the stairs, we saw a fortified room in front of us. From the looks of it, that thing could act as a mini-outpost and defense point. We decided to camp there, rest and restock before going further.

Chapter 2: The Subway
The safe-house provided decent defense against those monstrosities. It seems that they can't break through the thick walls and fortified steel doors that surround the area. We restocked, healed and pressed on. The door leading towards the streets were barricaded with desks and chairs and whatever we could find in the room. My mate then slowly opened the door leading into the subways. He was taking point and I was the one supporting him while the other two were rearguards. There was a big hole on the ceiling and on the floor. Growling and screeching noises beneath us meant that those bastards were hiding below us amidst the debris. We dropped below and took care of the bastards. As we moved towards the stairs, I noticed that something was moving above us. Coughing can be heard beyond the cracked ceiling. I shone my flashlight up only to see some hideous monstrosity lashing his tongue out towards me. I unloaded a full clip of buckshots towards the thing. He exploded into a cloud of green smoke. The smoke was like a wall. I couldn't see, breathe nor hear very well. I swear I almost died to that Smoker. To make matters worse, it seems that we were being followed. Every now and then, we could hear growls around us. It sounded different that the ones the Horde used to make. We felt like lambs to the slaughter. We were prey and there's a Hunter out there trying to get us. We picked up the pace. Hurrying through the ticket counter and making our way onto the tracks. Amongst the debris for the ticketing booth, there seem to be weapons beneath the rubble. Fortunately for us, they were working. Our luck was cut short when all of a sudden, the earth started to rumble. From behind a subway coach, a terrifying roar could be heard. I was frozen deep in my tracks. The size of that thing was hulk-like! From the looks of it, it seems like it was the alpha male of these Infected. Debris came flying towards us in all directions. Hidden between two pillars, I took careful aim with my newly found hunting rifle. I aimed for the head and let my fingers do the job. I no doubt got this Tank's attention and soon, debris came flying towards me. My mate tried to shake the Tank off me but only got thrown halfway across the platform, slamming into the wall. We lost her. The wall behind her collapsed on top of her. We fired everything back at the Tank and soon it fell to the ground. Even in situations like these, survival was top priority. There was no time for mourning. She would have done the same if she was in my place. We pressed on and found a way out of the subway. A stairs leading up could only lead back to the streets. This time, I was wrong. We approached a power generator room. The power controlling the automated gate to the top floor was out. By rerouting the power, it would mean that this building will be making a hell load of commotion. Which would also mean attracting the Horde. We've survived thus far, we'll survive the rest of it. We layed blockades around the generator room. Setup a mounted machinegun we found in one of the rooms. As we took up positions, we heard a faint cry from the stairway. I couldn't believe my eyes, neither could my mates. She who we thought had died risking her life to defeat the Tank, struggling to climb the stairway! She was in bad shape and I took it as my top priority to get her some first-aid. She was the one who saved my ass back at the Tank encounter. It was the least I could do. She offered to guard a nearby hole in one of the rooms. We decided to setup our defence there. She'd guard our backs while 2 of use will take the left and right of the machinegunner respectively. My mate triggered the power switch and hurriedly rushed back to mount the gun. The generators created a huge racket enough to wake the dead. As the security door slowly opened, the Horde rushed into the building from every opening they would find. The machinegun's barrel glowed red after constant mowing the Infected. As soon as we saw that the door was fully opened, we rushed upstairs into a small office room to catch our breath. After a good time out, we restocked our ammunitions and moved out into the next hallway. We eventually came out into the streets again. The sight of the city from the streets is never pretty. Not pretty indeed. In the distance we could hear a faint cry. It sounds like a girl crying, sobbing. We immediately cut our flashlights. It was a Witch. As our earlier encounters with her, she could be a passive equivalent to the Tank. I took aim with my hunting rifle. My mates did the same. All guns were pointing at the Witch. One of my mate threw a molotov cocktail he picked up earlier towards her. Her sobs and moans turned into shrieks and wild thrashing as she was set aflame by the molotov. Her sights set on us, we unleashed everything we had at her. This time, I had a clear shot. 5 shots to the head and she's on the ground. Just a few steps in front of us. Down the street, we saw lights coming from an abandoned pawn shop. The office were made out of the same fortified steel doors from an earlier safe-house. "So there were others before us," I told myself. We made our way into the safe-house andlocked the door behind us.

Chapter 3: The Sewer
We made our way out of the pawn shop and into some narrow back alleys again. I can see it. Mercy Hospital was just a few blocks away. Pathways back to the streets are either blocked with wrecked cars or just simply inaccessible in ways I couldn't have imagined. Sticking to the alleyways, we found ourselves at the local sewerage plant. The entrances were locked and the only way in is via the rooftops. We found a mobile lift to at least give us a height boost. My mate flipped the switch. The pneumatic system was faulty and it made horrid screech that was half as noisy as the generators. Even if it didn't seem to be a big deal at first, it sure attracted many unwanted little Infected. As we made our slow journey up towards the roof, a nearby gas station caught my eye. It very well gave me an idea. "Shoot the pumps!" I screamed. My mates fired a couple of volleys towards the pump. It was an early fireworks display that sent dozens of Infected flying in pieces. We ran across the rooftops towards the far end of the building. All the time keeping our eyes on the ground to keep the Horde from getting on the roof. As usual, we split into teams again, the rearguard was to hold off the incoming Horde at bay while myself and my other mate clear the front. Amidst the chaos, a Boomer somehow managed to slip past our sights and climbed onto a nearby truck. He puked all over the rearguard. It was indeed trouble as the asshat's vomit attracts nearby Infected towards the source of the vomit, which in this case are the rearguard team. I broke off from the point team and back tracked towards the rearguard. Taking my final pipe bomb, I lobbed it across the compound dragging every Infected that were charging the rearguard. It gave them enough time to recover and us to regroup. We made our way inside the plant. The interior was quiet, too quiet. My mates didn't like it. I on the other hand is trying to figure out what my gut instinct is trying to tell me. I found out soon enough as a forklift came flying my way. The cargo area was too clustered up for anyone of us to notice another Tank waiting at the opposite end of the room. I was saved by a pillar and a cargo holding rack. The forklist rebounded off those items and landed nearby one of my mates, almost crushing him. We splitted up trying to pull the Tank away from the exit. While the Tank was on one of my mates, myself and the other 2 gave supressing fire. We repeated this tactic till the Tank was dead. As my mate dealt the final blow, the Hunter that was tailing us finally decided to make his move, he pounced towards the Tank slayer. My was lucky. Reflex told him to pull the trigger of his automatic shotgun when the Hunter was pointblank. It sent the Hunter flying yards back, dead. With current problems settled, we decended into the sewers. The sewers were maze-like. Any attempt to split from the group will certainly get you lost. We followed our instincts and eventually found the ladder leading up. The words writted on the wall was like a gift from the heavens. It stated "MERCY HOSPITAL SEWER ACCESS." We were back on the street after climbing that ladder. However, there was good news and bad news. The good news is that we're right in front of Mercy Hospital. The bad news, the square was crawling with Infected. After coming this far, we ain't gonna let a bunch of mindless zombie stop us. We rushed towards the hospital entrance, shooting and bashing any Infected stupid enough to come close. We entered the main lobby, closed the door and bolted it shut. It looks like we'll be safe for he time being. Enough time to catch a breather.

Chapter 4: The Hospital
Mercy Hospital was in a much worse condition that we had originally thought. The hospital staff and patients have mutated into mindless zombies. Our destination was the helipad at the top of the hospital. However, the only way to the helipad is via a special elevator located on the fourth floor. We knew what we had to do. We fought our way to the fourth floor elevator. Every step we take, the close we are to being rescued. The elevator was on the 24th floor. That's the helipad level. Recalling the elevator will be risky. Every sudden move we make, the Horde appears. They greet with full force. I swung my hunting rifle over my back and whipped out both my pistols. "This is the only way up. We make a stand here!" I told my mates. As the elevator started its slow decent, we could hear the Horde rushing through the fourth floor towards us. Within seconds, we were being assaulted from the left, the right and the front. With the elevator slowly reaching the fourth floor, we moved ever so closer, with out backs towards the elevator door. As the door slided open, we rushed in and slammed on the close button. The hole in the elevator roof gave me a bad feeling. True enough, a Smoker landed on the roof. My pistol shots threw the Smoker off balance and his foot was soon caught between the cables. Within seconds, the Smoker was nothing but a pile of green smoke. The elevator door opened up. It was dark. We flashed our flashlights around. The area looked like a half complete construction project. Cement bags were everywhere. It looks like the helipad wasn't on this level. It was on another level above us. After travelling through loads of construction equipment, we finally saw the ever familiar fortified steel doors. I made my way towards the safe-house, the first time with a smile on my face. My mates did the same. Our hopes were short lived however. From behind a nearby wall, another Tank came crashing through. Smashing everything in its path. With this tight space to navigate, it was hard to dodge the Tank's rampage. We didn't want to rish the safe-house. With a brute this size, I doubt that door will hold. We adapted to an earlier tactic, one of us will act as the bait to lure him away from the safe-house while the other 3 provided supressing fire. It worked but not without casualties. I had like tons of steel bars thrown towards me, 2 of my mates were smashed towards the wall. Another was almost thrown off the side of the building. Nevertheless, we made it. The helipad was just above us. This is the final stretch.

Chapter 5: Rooftop Finale
The steel door opened to a half ruined helipad. Even this area were infested with zombies. From the corner of my eye I saw a radio tower. We rushed towards the radio tower. My mate flipped the switch to contact the earlier chopper we encountered. We had 15 minutes to defend ourselves while the chopper closed in on our location. 15 minutes. This will seem like an eternity. We started to place obstacles around the radio tower: petrol bottles, propane tanks, etc. To our luck, there was another machine gun in the tower. We immediately deployed it on the roof. We utilized the same tactic back at the generator room. One mans the mounted gun, two will guard the gunner's left and right respectively and the final person will act as the rearguard. I can hear the pilot's voice over the radio. At the very same time, growls of the Horde can be heard from all around us. "It's do or die people!" I gave one final shout and let loose everything I had. That 15 minutes was the longest 15 minutes in my entire life. The Horde came from all sides, Smokers lashed out at us from great distances, Hunters pounced on anyone who had their backs turned. Worst of all, there were two Tanks. Two god-damned motherfucking Tanks! We fought as our lives depended on it. In fact, it did. It was our job to clear the landing zone. In the distance, we could see the chopper closing in. We abandoned our posts and made a quick dash to the helipad. Limping and struggling as we are, we made it towards the evac zone. As the chopper made it's way down towards the helipad, the growls that we all learned to hate so much echoed behind us. The Horde staged their one last assault to ensure that nobody made it out of Fairfield alive. I snatched my mate's automatic shotgun and started to shoot into the Horde as my mates slowly climbed on board the chopper. They screamed my name, telling me that I was the last one. I ran like I've never ran before. I was just a skip away. I stretched out my hand but it was in vain. From behind, a third Tank emerged and grabbed me by the legs. I was pinned to the ground. I whipped out my pistols and emptied my barrel onto his face. It apparently did nothing except anger him more. He started smashing the floor with his bare hands. My legs weren't spared the carnage. One of my mates came down from the chopper and picked up the shotgun I dropped. He unloaded a full clip in the back of the Tank. The Tank roared in pain and started to thrash about. I took this as an opportunity to escape while I'm not the main focus anymore. I used my arms to pull myself towards the chopper. My other two mates that were still in the chopper rushed down to help me up. Within seconds, the Tank seeing my body no longer on the floor, went towards my mate that shot him in the back. The Tank took a piece of rock debris and hurled it towards my mate. My mate was knocked out cold. Just as the Tank could finish his job, two of my mates that helped me up the chopper took up their weapons and fired upon the Tank. The bullet spray of the assault rifle in the Tank's face at point blank should have blinded the thing. My mate was hurt badly, he was bleeding like there's no tomorrow. I took out both my pistols and gave them covering fire as my injured mate was dragged back to the chopper. As soon as the three of them we on, the pilot took off, leaving Mercy Hospital far behind.

Epilogue
My mate who was injured died minutes after we left the hospital. A post mortem concluded that his ribcage was smashed which in turn punctured his lungs. He died of internal bleeding. As for me, my legs were to be amputated. Apparently, the damage was slightly more severe than I thought. Even my spinal cord took a full hit. I was told that I'd be paralyzed for life. As for my other two mates well, they're safe and that's the important part. Fairfield will no longer be how it's used to be. I can't really say much about the rest of Philadelphia. For all I know, CEDA would have already decided to nuke the state...

1 comment: