Sunday, November 2, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 16 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 16 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The idea of a beautiful morning was cut short when there was a knock on the door. I was sleeping, yet I was awake. The last that I remembered was the white ceiling and the ever noisy fan spinning. Somehow, my body went to sleep long before my eyes. It was the fatigue from the day before. Never have I felt so exhausted in my life. The second knock brought me back to reality. I moved out of bed to turn the lights on. I flipped the switch once, then twice. Nothing. "Bloody bastards cut the power," I said to myself while walking to the bathroom.

I got back into my room soaking wet and cold. Even the damned heater broke down. "Just great," I muttered as I headed towards my workstation. It was attached to a backup generator and it kicked in as soon as the power died. I turned on the monitor and scrolled through my midnight activity logs. Scans showed that there were less attacks compared to the week before. I loaded up the security protocols and let the machine handled the rest. Grabbing my portable workstation and my communicator, I left my room.

I headed to the local hospital. Ever since the news of the coming apocalypse surfaced, that place has been on high alert. Paranoia runs rampant within those four walls. Entrance security was sloppy as usual. However, they were pretty tight on the upper levels. You needed proper identification to access the higher levels, even the cafeteria on the top-most floor. I was supposed to meet someone there, an informant. Apparently, that "someone" didn't show up. Perhaps trouble with security or maybe personal problems. I never did trusted anonymous tip-offs anyway. As I made my way back to the ground floor, my communicator buzzed. The text message stated that I was to head over to the entrance of the church next door.

As I thought, my "informant" was having a little security trouble back at the hospital and couldn't even make it past the first floor. His information was regarding an earlier assignment of mine: a thorough investigation of a nearby abandoned power plant. With this info, I will be finally be able to continue on my investigation. I took the data disc he had and headed home to further analyze it.

I was hoping that the power was already restored once I got home. But then again, I was hoping too much. My backup generator died only moments after I popped the disc into the drive to be analyzed. Without having much choice, I laid down and I dozed off. I woke up to the sound of raindrops hitting hard on the sidewalk. But there was more. The creaking sound of the turning fan was music to my ears. "Power's back," I smiled as I began to analyze the contents of the disc.

The amount of data my informant managed to find out was massive. "This could keep me awake all night," I told myself. I worked nonstop trying to figure out the mess that was created and sorting out a majority of errors. Soon, the clocked showed midnight. Another 15 days to the Apocalypse.

No comments: