Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 13 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 13 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was already way past midnight. Perhaps I'm the only one that is still up. My surroundings were quiet, like I was living in a ghost town. Despite that, I continued to work on the finishing touches of my research. By the time I was done, it was already 6 in the morning. Deadline in 4 hours. I decided to hit the sack.

I was awake a mere 2 hours later. My head was throbbing and my eyes felt like they were about to fall out from my sockets any second. I was that tired. But nonetheless, I woke up and pushed myself to freshen up in the bathroom. By the time I got to HQ's Lab 6A, it was already bustling with activity. Something you don't get to see anymore in this kind of time. Apparently, I wasn't the only one tasked with this. This mass research on anomalies popping out due to the coming apocalypse gave me an glimpse of the what's to come: from abandoned church grounds, to derelict underground mining shafts. What's more, there were even places that I even I didn't expect to be investigated: a ruined temple archive that was believed to be from another civilization with technology far greater than ours! Heck, it exists. I can't bring myself to believe that. Suddenly, the coming apocalypse only seemed to scare me even more. But somehow, deep inside me... There is anxiousness. Anxious of the arrival of this event that would change our very lives, forever...

I left HQ as soon as everything was over. I needed some immediate sleep. Pronto. The journey back seemed like an eternity. With the regular brainless moronic bastards rampaging the streets, it's even more life-threatening than ever to drive in my current state. Nevertheless, I made it back. Heck, I can't even remember what was the time I reached home. I instantly knocked out when I stepped foot into my own room. I woke up a lot later, but to just check on the time. The clock showed that it's way past midnight already. "12 days to the Apocalypse," I quietly exclaimed and went back to sleep.

No comments: