Friday, November 14, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 4 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 4 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I woke up with a heavy feeling in my heart. Deep inside me there was regret. However, I tried not to make it too much of a big deal. "What's done is done," I told myself. What I need to do now, is concentrate on the task at hand. I switched on my workstation and began studying the security videos I've received a day ago. Everything just doesn't make sense.

I contacted a few of my colleagues. Some had some theories. Although without proof, they're just as good as bullshit. I had my theories as well. Sadly, they're without proof either. I decided to head over to the station one last time. This time determined to find something that may push this investigation forward. Within minutes, I was standing at the entrance. Luckily, the sun was still up. Thoughts of the horrid event came back to haunt me. I shrugged it off and pressed onward.

The inside was just as how it was the day before. Untouched. Looks like nobody's been here. From the looks of it, I doubt anyone will ever come here again... Ever. The stench of death and decay filled the air around me. It was unbearable. I left the premises immediately. As I walked towards the entrance, I noticed from the corner of my eye that someone or something has been following me ever since I entered the place. I place my hand on the pistol I had been carrying. With yesterday's events, I can't be too carefree anymore. Self-defense, is a must.

I took deep breathes to calm my nerves. Pulled out the pistol from the holster and released the safety lock. I scanned the area carefully, trying to pick out notable ambush points. I carefully walked towards my car. I stopped as I heard footsteps nearby. I turned, pointing the gun towards the source of the noise. I held my breath. My fingers were already on the trigger, getting ready to pull it at any second. From behind the broken pillar, my stalker emerged. "Fuck, hell!" I exclaimed. It was my ex-partner. Somehow, he miraculously survived last night's ordeal.

He was bruised and battered. His clothes were tattered and torn all around. He could definitely pass of as one of them. He said that he managed to break free from the horde that came rampaging down the basement carpark and hid in a nearby storeroom or some sort. I gave him two shots from my pistol. One on the arm, another on his thigh. "Those are for being trigger happy last night which almost cost me my life. Also, to make sure you're not one of them," I told him. He was groaning in pain. A good sign. It means that he was still human. "Fuck you, bro," he said.

I laughed and offered him a ride home. In his make-shift sanctuary in the storeroom, my partner managed to somehow study the behavior of those things. He compiled it and then uploaded it into my database. I placed the data under lock and chains. It was password protected. The code was encrypted. "This data goes down with me," I told myself. That's if those things get to me before I complete this investigation and let my mates know of it.

Again, I worked till midnight. "3 days to the Apocalypse," I said as I slowly walked towards the bed. I let out a heavy sigh and went to sleep.

No comments: