Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 14 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 14 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I woke up to the buzzing sound coming from my communicator. Feeling that this was just a little too early to head off for work, I grabbed the communicator and threw it aside. Then came a knock on my door. I opened the room door only to see the guy from yesterday. I slammed the door to his face and went back to sleep. I dozed off only to wake up an hour later. To my surprise, that asshole was still standing in front of my door. "I need help with biotech research," the asshole said. Without a second thought, I let him in and booted up my workstation. "The data is in the primary core drive," I told him as I headed off to the bathroom to freshen up. Apparently, he wasn't just interested with the biotech research. He was also studying the cause and effects of the coming apocalypse. I told him that there'll be more to discuss back at HQ, and we left.

The usual morning at HQ's Lab 6A was like any other day. My mates were early as usual. True enough they're all deep into their soon-to-be-dued biotech research report. My female colleague on the other hand was tasked with something else. "New orders eh?" I asked. "Advanced weapon development," she replied. "Firearms?" I asked again. She nodded her head. I was then approached my another of my mates. "Brought the stuff?" he ask. "Mainframe core drive," I said while pointing to the direction of the mainframe device that I left on the frontdesk. The atmosphere in the lab was as tense as I could ever imagine. Maybe it was due to the fact that everyone was under pressure due to the fact that we have a slavedriver as our XO.

As evening came, the lab was as empty as ever. Only four of us remained aside from the other three technicians working at the back of the lab. I left soon after. The sky was dark and my surroundings were quiet. It'll be far less quieter than it is now in the days to come. As for me, I'd stay put and watch as how things will unfold. How will fate carry out its duties once the apocalypse hath cometh? I sat at my deskchair, thinking... "Come midnight, it will be 13 days to the Apocalypse..."

No comments: