Monday, November 3, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 15 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 15 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By the time I woke up it was half past noon. The sun was blazing through the tattered curtain holes covering my window. I picked up my communicator to check for messages. There was a list of names. Amongst them all, one stood out. I gave him a call. The conversation was a little hard to hear due to static. The call ended abruptly but I traced the source to an abandoned lightrail station up north by the highway. The area was littered with scraps and junk. Mostly debris from the station itself.

We headed to HQ to check in. The poor sob apparently had an urgent meeting with the higher-up and rushed on the minute I stopped the car. I slowly mad my way to the research labs to further on my already delayed abandoned powerplant research. The labs were as dark as usual when I stepped in. I pushed the metal door and walked into Lab 6A. Immediately I was embraced by the cold stale air that's been circulating in the room ever since the labs were open in morning. A female colleague told me that the rest of my team headed out for lunch. "Why the hell would anyone think about having lunch in a situation like this?" I told myself.

Ignoring the fact that my mates left me, I walked towards my workstation. I took a glimpse at my surroundings and I knew that some unauthorised personel was in the labs. "Some fucktard was at my place!" I shouted, much to the disapproval of my female friend. Soon, my mates were back. From what I can see, they're into something about biotechnology. Not that I care much about. Since my report was way overdue, I decided to ignore their petty chatter and concentrated on my reseach instead.

By the time I was done, the sun has already set and I decided to make my way home. The weather was finally a little more forgiving as it started to drizzle at about halfway through my journey. The days before was scorching hot. I reached home not long after and headed upstairs back into my room. Logging on to my personal workstation, I noticed that there was an incoming video transmission. "Oh, great... Biotech shit..." I grumbled to myself. Apparently that whole biotech research thing that was going on back at the lab was another team research project the higher-ups decided to force into my already tight schedule. The final words shown on screen at the end of the message was dreadful indeed: "DUE IN 2 DAYS."

Just great. First up was the research report on the abandoned powerplant I received months ago. Now this. Worst of all is that both are to be handed up on the same day, handed up to the same XO and seriously, I don't look like I have the time. Cramming all up would be a possible choice but I myself like to take things slow and steady. Call me a perfectionist of somesort. The clock already shows that it's 10 minutes to midnight. I've been staring the screen for more than an hour already thinking of a possible way out of this one.

"Midnight... 14 days to the Apocalypse," I said.

I turned off the monitor and headed into the shower...

No comments: