Monday, November 10, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 8 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 8 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My communicator buzzing the first thing in the morning is always bad news. True enough. I was called back to work. The people at HQ aren't actually giving me two shits about the coming apocalypse and also that someone's after my head. I decided to sleep in. The report about the early outbreak happening worldwide tomorrow can wait. Heck, I actually said that and went back to sleep.

Half-past noon. My communicator buzzed again. This time it was my colleague. He was expecting me to show up today. We promised to discuss the Light Quantum Modulator we discovered a couple days ago. I turned down his offer, told him that I'll be taking another day off just to piss them off back at HQ. I promised him that I'll show up back at Lab 6A first thing tomorrow morning. No response. The line's been cut. I walked towards the window only to see something, a shade of black disappear behind some foliage. "Shit. Line's been tapped," I cursed silently.

I went back to bed. Seems like the more I sleep, the more tired my body becomes. Could be something that happened yesterday. I brushed off the idea and went back to sleep. By the time I woke up again, it was past 7. I headed towards my workstation and turned the thing on. There was something I needed to clarify. I tried to establish communication connections with a few of my known and trusted contacts. "FAILED. RETRY?" was the damned bloody words showed on the screen. I kicked the mainframe core angrily. The damn thing went dead. I manually turned it on again. It seems like the auto-reboot went dead as well the moment I gave the thing a nice kicking.

I decided to started working early. I booted up my data samples from weeks ago. Compiling them into my report. If I'm to give my report about the global outbreak tomorrow, I'd better be convincing. Them asshats at the administrative department won't let anything get through to the higher-ups unless they see it fit. Seriously a load of bull. The data load was massive. I was left working till midnight. I couldn't care less. I turned off my machine and went to bed. "If the admins don't see this as important, I'll just take things into my own hands." I prepped myself for bed. "7 days to the Apocalypse. Global outbreak begins huh? I don't wanna wake up..."

No comments: