Friday, November 7, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 11 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 11 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The night before, I felt my heart sinking way below my gut. Morning came and I thought that the horrid feeling down below remained. However I woke up with a sense of hope. Something deep within me said that it will turn out alright. Just the day before, I had to deal with freaking asshats. That totally broke my concentration and basically my patience.

I headed to HQ as usual. Today was the day that 6A will be having their final mark-up inspection. I felt confident, even if my report was only half complete. Half complete, but not half-assed. It was something to be proud of. Unlike them newbies who only cared about nothing; they get things done just for the sake of getting it done. Not someone I'd want on my team. After all, I don't think they'll even survive the initial blow if they were caught right smack in the middle of the chaos 11 days later.

By noon, Lab 6A was almost cleared out. About an hour later, the count dropped to just 7 people. The tension between colleagues became a lot more intense as the days drew closer. Still, we struggle to keep ourselves sane. So far, everything's going smoothly...but for how long? I've decided to take a two day break. For health reasons. Working my ass off will get me killed long before the dawn of the apocalypse.

I left the lab not long after the sun had set. It was clear that someone (or something) either wanted me out of the picture or worse, dead. My car was rigged. I was then left stranded for hours, off-course just because I decided to take a detour. I knew something was bound to happen when I started receiving cold stares behind my back. I swear that sometimes, I could bloody feel them breathing down my neck. Watching my every move quietly in hiding, wishing that some misfortune befall me. My research proved that I was unto something. Something that someone else doesn't want me to solve or reveal to the others.

Nevertheless, I reached home countless hours later; myself still in one piece fortunately. I've decided to lay low for the time being. Continuing my research and investigation via my own underground networks of "informants" and sources. Whoever who rigged my car must still be out there looking for me. I can't fake my own death. Many who know me knows where they'd be able to find me. I just have to play it safe. Just another hour to midnight. I bolted my room door and windows. "10 days to the Apocalypse," I muttered. "The fun begins now," I smiled sarcastically to myself and tucked myself to bed.

No comments: