Saturday, November 8, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 10 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 10 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I awoke to the abrupt sound of my communicator. Well, I thought that it came from my communicator. Apparently I was dreaming. It was 8 in the morning. Eventually, I went back to sleep. Around 9, I awoke to the sound of my communicator, again. This time it was real. It was a distress signal coming from a very familiar location: the abandoned train station along the highway. Although I was supposed to lay low for the time being, this signal was urgent. But to be on the safe side, I decided to call for backup. Apparently, there was this one time partner of mine. He was eventually reassigned due to certain internal mishaps. Whether this was a plot against him or something else, I can't say. I called him.

We made our way towards the station. It was harder to navigate through the ruined pathways now as the pile of worthless rubble has seemed to have gotten a lot more bigger than the previous time I was here. I was surprised to see that my colleague was the one who sent me the signal. We were to be working on a top secret military project called the HGL Project. His research eventually led him to the station. It looks like this worthless pile of rubble they call a station apparently has more connections to various incidents that I had originally imagined. He synced his communicator with mine. I downloaded the data he had collected prior to the events here at the station. "So where to?" I asked. "Coordinates: BU-1U-NW," he replied.

A huge structure stood in front of us. "Here's the place," I exclaimed. The huge building has seen it's share of the chaos through the years. It's exterior paint and structure shows exactly that. We went in despite the fact that the very roof could come crashing down on us. "Where now?" I asked. "Top floor," came the reply. The top floor of the building was a lot smaller than the previous floors. Searching this area will certainly be easier. Or so I thought. I don't even know what the hell were we looking for in the first place. I asked him. He was looking for a Light Quantum Modulator. "You mean a photon generator?" I asked him. He shook his head, "No, a Light Quantum Modulator." My ever silent partner eventually spoke out for the first time since the trip. "The modern name photon derives from the
for light, φῶς, (transliterated phôs), and was coined in 1926 by the physical chemist Gilbert N. Lewis, who published a speculative theory in which photons were uncreatable and indestructible." I was shocked. That bloody ass actually knew about photons. His reassignment actually did some good for him.

"If we ever find this Light Quantum Modulator," I said. "Photon generator," interrupted my colleague. I gave him a piercing stare. I continued while giving my colleague the stare. "If we ever find this device, then I can say that we've proved Gilbert N. Lewis wrong."

For 2 whole hours, we were searching the top most floor. Eventually after much searching, we found the device. It wasn't in good shape but it was definitely working. It's slight malfunction jammed the tracker on my colleague's communicator. Which was one of the reason why the search took longer than expected. It was giving off false location readings. I was tired but relieved somehow. If this LQM or photon generator would function, it will prove to be a great performance boost to the HGL Project. Maybe even for the coming apocalypse.

I then headed home. My body gave way the minute I saw the bed. I was sleeping till 9. Deciding to turn in early, I checked my doors and windows to see that they're bolted nice and tight. "9 days to the Apocalypse," I sighed and drifted to sleep.

No comments: