Sunday, November 9, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 9 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 9 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With 9 days left, my days starts off with even more chaos. My workstation flared off the annoying beep that can only mean that there's an incoming message. "Coordinates: MD-IKP-I. Proceed with caution." Sender anonymous. I went alone. Somehow I felt like this was indeed a trap. Heck, if news got out that Lab 6A was in possession of a Light Quantum Modulator, I've no doubt that even the local government would bloody send goons out for my head.

The location was another massive structure then the previous day. However, this looked like it was in better condition than the last as well. There weren't any doorways along the main building. So, I headed towards the underground entrance. The labyrinth stretched for miles. Corridors made this place like a maze of doom. With my tracker on, I've managed to find my way towards the stairway that leads to the ground floor. Instantly, my tracker went crazy. Just like my colleague's when we were in the vicinity of the modulator. "What now?" I asked myself. Red dots showed up all around me on the tracker. This time, they were moving. A slow start, then they started to pickup the pace. Without a second thought, I bolted through the nearest doorway I could find and locked them behind me. Then, the lights went out.

Through the darkness, I could make out shapes of humanoid figures running rampant. The keyhole wasn't as good as a window but it worked nonetheless. The pungent smell of rotting corpses filled the air around me. I choked and fell face first to the floor. "Incoming transmission," said the AI from my communicator. It was a data stream being downloaded to my communicator. I traced the source. It led me back to the anonymous sender of this structure's coordinates.

The message read: "As you can see, what's happening now around you has now spread to certain parts of the world. This officially began 3 days ago. In another 2 days, this phenomenon will be global. This is the initial onslaught of the coming apocalypse." The message ended there. There was apparently no reason for me to stick around here any longer. I guessed whoever that sent me the message wanted me to see this. I did and now I'm leaving.

"Global meltdown in 2 days huh?" I asked myself while i made a dash back through the winding corridors. This has to be reported to HQ. Something I'll be doing the first thing tomorrow morning. If this was the initial onslaught, I can't imagine what would happen 9 days later.

I went home and pondered on the subject. Eventually I drifted off to sleep. "8 days to the Apocalypse." I heard a faint whisper in my ear. It was midnight...

No comments: