Thursday, November 13, 2008

Countdown to the Apocalypse: 5 Days Remaining

I sat in my chair hoping for the best. Thing hasn't been going my way ever since the news on the coming apocalypse. 5 days. As the deadline comes ever so closer, excitement overwhelms. I want it to come, yet part of me wants it to just stay; never approaching. But alas, times moves forward.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My communicator's constant buzzing woke me up at around 3 in the afternoon. I was in no mood to move my ass up and head over to HQ. After all, what's there left of HQ now? That biohazard outbreak we had the day before must have tore the whole place down to ruins. I've had no contact with whoever that were in the labs since I've stepped foot back home at 3 this morning.

I turned on my workstation only to find an anonymous message flashing on my screen. It was the security videos to yesterday's outbreak back at the lab. I was shocked to see the damage that was done. They came from all sides, pounded on the glass doors. Smashed through the plaster walls like cardboard. Then I remembered my ordeal this morning at the abandoned train station. It was just as bad. Suddenly, I began to felt thankful. Thankful that I've lived this long. Thankful that I'm still alive after all this bullshit.

I've had cuts and bruises before but the wounds I had this time were... Well, let's just say that they're non-fatal. I kept watching the security videos. My feelings did not change. I was scared, true. But deep down, the determination to survive grew stronger. I will fight my way out. Dying now will only let my efforts thus far, die in vain.

I headed back to the station hoping to see things I might had missed when I was in pitch black...and also the paranoia of being mauled to death from the back when you least expect it. I rushed towards the station. Hoping to actually find something before the sun actually set. Somehow, these things don't show their ugly faces when the sun's still up. I received a call from my ex-partner. Seems that he's interested in the station and the recent biohazard outbreak as well. A helping hand will always be welcomed within my party. But something does bother me and it's been bothering me for a long-long time. He's known to be a real disaster magnet and he's hopeless in those kind of situations, especially if he's the cause of it.

The first half hour went fine. Well, it all went fine till we left the main building and approached the carpark. The sorry ass found a shotgun from the corpse of a security guard. As luck would have it, he has no firsthand experience whatsoever on firearms. "Just great," I sighed in disbelief. I told him to hand the gun over. He ignored me and continued to press ever forward. I took a rock and threw it towards him. It got his attention sure enough, with a bleeding head to spare. I pointed upwards signifying the sky's getting dark. I'd syncronized my watch earlier, before leaving my place to beep 5 minutes before 7. It did and we're at the far end of where we entered the building.

It was clearly dark outside. The faint glimmer of light seeping through the cracks between the pillars and walls seemed to have just vanished. I called out the bastard's name. He stood there, stared at me and walked towards me like he owned the place. "Fuck, bro. Move your ass. Sun's down," I told him. He gave me his trademark clueless face-look. "Right..." came the reply. I drove my knee straight into his groin and hurriedly jogged back towards the entrance. The ass took aim with the shotgun, and fired twice towards me. The first hit the pillar beside me. While the second, ricocheted off the floor and hit a nearby abandoned vehicle. The car alarm went bonkers. "Geez, asshole. If you wanna shoot me, do it point blank!" I screamed at him. Now the whole godforsaken station is gonna wake up. I picked up my pace and was soon running for my life. Growls and silhouettes can be seen in the darkness. I got out of the place still in one piece.

I opened my room door and black out on my bed. I never did know what happened to the asshole back at the station. If he hadn't been such an ignorant dumbass, we would've made it out without much trouble. Plus, we found nothing. However, what I do know is that come midnight... It'll be 4 days to the Apocalypse.

No comments: