Thursday, December 4, 2008

In Memoriam: Marie Rose Leong (77 yrs)

The night before, I went to bed at about 2 or so in the morning. After a full dose of Toradora!, I was pretty much satisfied. Although a little pissed because my Heroes download has been going for two days and has yet to complete. I went to sleep. Waiting any longer will certainly ruin my night's sleep. It was 3 by the time I got into bed.

I heard a brief knock on my door around 5 something in the morning, almost 6 if I recall. By the time I struggled out of bed to get the door, I can hear loud footsteps across the floor. My gut instinct told me that something's not right. I opened my room door nonetheless. My mom stood at my room door; tears in her eyes. My grandma just died moments ago. I stood at the door staring at the floor, speechless. I knew this day would come one way or another... Just didn't expect it to be this soon. My grandmother was discharged from the hospital only a day before. For minutes, I stood at my doorway, staring into nothingness.

Deep down inside, I tried to laugh, I tried to scream, I tried to cry. But nothing. Through the doorway across mine, I could see my sister sitting on her bed. In the darkness she was there, hugging the closest pillow she could find. I closed my door, turned off my lights and went back to bed. Hoping to sleep through this. I can't. My body seems to want it but my eyes just don't wanna give in. I gave up. I left my room and went downstairs to get a drink of water. That's when I saw my grandmother's motionless body lying on the bed in the hall. For the first time that morning, tears filled my eyes...

This all started about mid-July. My grandmother came down to visit. She suffered a heart attack one night just because she had forgotten to take her medication. She has been having high blood pressure and diabetes for years now. That's when she was rushed to the hospital. If I recalled, that was around 2 in the morning. It was a Sunday. She was discharged weeks later. Just days after being discharged, she fell. It was some time in the morning before noon. She fractured her hip and was again rushed to the hospital. Eventually it became a downward spiral from that moment on.

Just last week she was readmitted again to the hospital. Apparently her sugar level dropped below critical. It was about then, after 4 months going in and out of the hospital that I think she finally gave up on everything. She begged my mom to discharge her just the day before. She left us peacefully the next morning. May her soul rest in peace.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside the still waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me through the right paths
for his name's sake.

Although I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil,
for you are beside me:
your rod and your staff comfort me.

You spread a table before me
in the presence of my foes.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup is overflowing.

Goodness and kindness will follow me
all the days of my life,
I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

- Psalm 23:1-6

2 comments:

Yan said...

Words alone can't convey how sorry I am at your grandma's passing and I don't think words alone can comfort you. My prayers for you grandma. May she rest in peace.

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing.. May God bless her soul:)