Wednesday, April 15, 2009

CyberFusion 2009: New Guinness World Record!

I would've posted this sooner but heck, I've just recovered. 40 hours of non-stop gaming can really kill someone. The event started on Friday, 10th of April at the MMU (Multimedia University) Grandhall in Cyberjaya. From what I heard, people started flocking the area as early as noon. Registrations only started at 3 but heck, those bastards were early. And I do mean early.

The record attempt kickoff was at midnight. The previous record attempt was 203 people playing over LAN for 36 hours non-stop. Our target that night was to be playing for 38 hours. However at the last minute, everyone decided to push the limit and go for the 40 hour mark. Heck, we've been able to survive for 38 hours already, so what's another 2 hours?

The first 12 hours after the event started was easy. By noon, Saturday, I was like half-dead. Lunch was enough to get me going again. I was wide awake and I continued "working" on my PC. Simultaneously, tournaments were going on in the tournament area. DotA, Call of Duty 4, Sudden Attack, you name it. The matches can be viewed at www.gamestah.com and the best part was that the replay file can be downloaded to your PC to be watched at your own leisure. I don't think the commentation's available if you download the replay file, although there is a seperate audio commentation file to e downloaded as well.

There were several mini-events that were held for the record breakers as well. One of them was a 3 hour level time-limit for CABAL Online. Highest level within that time wins. I knda forgot what the prize was and yes, a fresh level 1 character. Same goes for World of Warcraft. The criteria was the first to get an Alliance Gnome to Level 20 on Blackwater Raiders (US-RP). Yup, a US server. Don't ask me why... My ping there was around 400 odd. Not too bad though. Although my mage kinda stopped at level 9. The grinding was getting to me. The guys beside me took approx. 18 hours++ just to get to level 20. No breaks included. Non-stop, hardcore leveling for 18 hours. Of course they won a Limited Edition Wrath of the Lich King boxset.

Like I said, I stopped at level 9 and I headed on to playing on LYN's TF2 LAN Server. And believe me, everyone was stoned. If I'm not mistaken we've already reached the halfway mark. It was Saturday night. By the time the event was over and the official statement was given about the record attempt, I think it was almost 6pm on Sunday. My journey back home was a blur... I knocked-out the moment I stepped foot into my friend's car. But heck, I had fun. That's all that matters.

Final result? 274 people playing over LAN for 40 hours. A new Guinness World Record!

This is CF0191 signing off from LP108. Hope to take part again next year if there's ever a CyberFusion 2010.


By the way, BERNAMA covered the record breaking attempt:

CyberFusion 2009 Breaks World Record

KUALA LUMPUR, April 13 (Bernama) -- CyberFusion 2009 has cracked the world record for the longest local area network party over the weekend.

The event saw 274 players playing non-stop for 40 hours consecutively, said the organiser, Cyberview Sdn Bhd, in a statement.

CyberFusion had rewritten the previous record created in August last year at NVision '08 in California where 203 players played non-stop for 36 hours.

"We have designed CyberFusion 2009 to benefit students and the industry and to fit into Cyberjaya's community pillars of work, play and study.

"What we want to achieve in the long run is to create opportunities that can be further explored and help the growth of Malaysia's creative multimedia and digital content industry," said Cyberview managing director Datuk Redza Rafiq.

The Guinness World of Records' adjudicator, Talal Omar, was present at the event to monitor the record-breaking feat.

-- BERNAMA

No comments: